Office Memo

March 5, 2017

screen-shot-2017-03-05-at-9-28-37-pm

 

Advertisements

Floral acrylic chaos

March 4, 2017

What do you do when you have inherited tiny tubes of fabric paint that are drying out and cluttering up your desk? 

Hostile Takeover

March 3, 2017

I don’t know what possessed me, but I came up with this idea of having an office themed team of super villains. I’ve been working on developing a new style for drawing characters in Jack-O’s universe so I applied it to these goons.

Teams are always fun: creating a set of diverse but complementary power sets and personalities. The real question is, what’s  their motivation? I find the ever popular “total world domination” to be overdramatic. That sounds like a lot of work to me. What else could these guys want?

Fantastic Botany

February 2, 2017

Jack-O 5-Pager

January 18, 2017

I finished inking this five page story that I penciled during a road trip last year. There is a lot that I would fix in order to make some of the panels more  clear but for now I’ll call it done. 

It was fun to plot out the story page by page, panel by panel. I liked starting with characters not central to the story. It gave a grounding in human relationship that helped anchor the events of the rest of the story. 





Jack-O Christmas Special

December 10, 2016

The Watchers

December 4, 2016

Process: Book Cover Design

December 4, 2016

In taking on this book cover project, I began by sketching a bunch of thumbnails. I was familiar with the contents of the book and when I had the opportunity I took a look through the contents. Usually, this read-through would probably be the first step.

After discussing the thumbnails with the author, we decided to go with the text of the title and subtitle along with graphic line drawings of various objects.

With a quick stop at the internet I procured examples of the objects I wanted to draw and headed off to Adobe Illustrator. After I drew the objects, I resized them so that they were the correct proportions relative to the other objects.

Next I scoured through my typeface collection and found two that had a hand-drawn, indie feel. Wanting the illustration lines to resemble the type lines, I created a custom brush and applied it to the objects using the Appearances palette.

I also knew that I wanted to have the colors of the objects offset so I drew rough approximations of the object contours shapes on a different layer using the pencil tool.

I imported the line work, text and color contours into Photoshop and began the layout, coloring and texturing process. More internet research let me see color options as well as locating paper and watercolored textures. I’ve always liked the combination of tight line work with loose watercolors and thought that aesthetic would work well for this project.

Initially, the orange concept got the most positive feedback in my focus group, but the author thought the calmer blue color scheme communicated the intent of the book. I added in additional texture elements and a light frame to add a bit more energy and to focus the viewer’s eye by connecting the various elements.

Typically, I create a new composited Photoshop file that has all of its layers cleaned up. In this case I extended the canvas on the new file to accommodate the single font/spine/back file required by the publisher.

screen-shot-2016-12-04-at-3-44-59-pm

Chicken the Brave

October 1, 2016

I thought this would be a fun band name or kids illustrated book so I created a little hand drawn/digitally enhanced logotype. I had been looking at the fun, loose vector art of J. Otto Seibold and was enjoying his hand lettering style. After looking the letter forms over and doing a quick analysis, I jumped into sketching, followed by rounds of scanning and redrawing (both digitally in Photoshop and by hand) before vectorizing, doing some (slight) cleanup, and adding vector flourishes in Illustrator.

chicken3

chicken1 initial sketch

chicken2-5

one of several rounds of digital correction and play

chicken2

scan of a hand drawn cleanup on a light printout

More Typography play

September 11, 2016

This is a lyric from a song called “Southpaw”. The song lends itself to an Art Deco feel and some Russian Constructivist design elements and colors.

In working through this piece I designed an ampersand symbol and cleaned up the “R” as well. Some of the letterforms reveal their weaknesses (the Ss look heavy and the various weights on the “Ws” are problematic. C’est la vie.

screen-shot-2016-09-10-at-11-03-07-pm