Archive for the ‘Gary’ Category

Green Ghost Classic

July 13, 2009

Looking through old sketchbooks I ran across several 1-page Green Ghost stories I drew 4 or 5 years ago. I wrote out the script and then did some thumbnails before doing the full-sized pages. All the inking was done with sharpie markers. Not archival I know. I was going for clear storytelling and speed rather than perfection of line. Usually it’s the idea of a story that is most appealing and too much artistic pressure can kill some of the joy of drawing.

It was a good decision. I was able to crank the pages fairly quickly for a self-imposed deadline. There are a few things that I notice construction-wise that are a little nutty, some odd tangents, but the gags are pretty straightforward (except for the last one, the punchline of which is mysteriously absent—where’s the ON button?).

Which one do you like best (or hate the least)?

gg_classic007gg_classic010gg_classic015gg_classic009gg_classic008gg_classic011gg_classic013gg_classic006gg_classic012

Advertisements

The Premiere

June 18, 2009

I have a lot of stories bouncing around in my head. I usually try to jot them down immediately in a nearby sketchbook for later development. Sometimes they become a poem, a song, a short story, an illustration, or comic. In this case, I created a storyboard for a short film (could live action, could be animated). I had alot of fun working on this idea. It has a wide range of emotions and some nice acting moments. It works great in pantomime. It’s also the first time I’ve used a female protagonist. Enjoy.

PremierePremiere2Premiere3Premiere4Premiere5Premiere6Premiere7Premiere8Premiere9

The Sarge

June 12, 2009

Tooling around with a story idea, I sketched a few versions of Sarge. I like this one soI thought I’d walk through some digital inking, coloring, and texturing. For those of you with military knowledge, the uniform is a total fantasy based on poorly remembered war movies and cartoons (mind you own beeswax.) Real research to follow.

Sarge1Sarge2Sarge3Sarge4

Sarge5

Green Ghost in the Shell

May 20, 2009

I was doodling around and thought it would be funny to see Green Ghost in Iron-manish armor.

Iron_GreenGhost

Robo Pal 3000

March 3, 2009

I felt like painting something so I pulled out the gouache tubes and my waterbrush pen. This started out as freeform pencil lines on bristol board. I looked at the doodle until I could “see” the character and then just developed the lines. After scanning I applied some Photoshop fun and…Voila!

robopal001

. . .Before they’re hatched

February 21, 2009

I realized I hadn’t posted this week so I thought I’d knock out a quick Photoshop illustration based on a well-known figure of speech. countingchickens

Oddbits

January 9, 2009

I thought it might be fun to just start drawing combinations of animals and objects. The top several were first drawn with a LePlume brushpen which accounts for the much more even lines. The bottom two were drawn with my ink-filled Niji which accounts for the more expressive and varied linework. Colored with gouache and watercolor.

oddbits001

The Bugs of Christmas

December 23, 2008

My wife wrote a series of short stories for a Christmas present. I whipped out a few illustrations in CS4 to include with them. Here are three excerpts which I quickly colored in Photoshop. Merry Christmas!

coloredbugs

Light as a Feather: Part 4

October 29, 2008

I decided to add some atmospheric lighting to create more focus on the bluebird’s reaction to his rotund associate. I also changed the direction of the backmost texture layer and increased the opacity and number of  texture objects. The horizontal direction was too distracting to the composition which is strongly vertical.

Beware the gingerbread cottage…

June 4, 2008

Digital Sketch of Gingerhaus

Vector Art finished. On to Photoshop…

Spooky Ginger Haus…ACHTUNG!

I wanted to do a completely digital illustration. I sketched the rough out using Illustrators brush with a low opacity to simulate a HB pencil. Then I began building the shapes. In retrospect, I should have worked out the composition and elements more. There are definite areas where I rushed.

After importing the image into Photoshop, I applied a radial gradient set to multiply, and created an alpha channel-based blur to add focus. Then I started playing around with textures, masks, and transparency options. The final piece is much moodier and chiaroschuro-ish. My wife convinced me to go with an overlay setting that popped some of the gumdrops on the path while simultaneously darkening the trees.