Book binding project

In preparing for my new sketchbook, I thought I would get back into the book making flow by doing a quick bindery project.
I have a bunch of copies of Before & After magazine, a design periodical published in the 90s. I have been keeping them in a three ring binder but wanted to do something a little cooler with a smaller bookshelf footprint. Since the magazines are saddle stitched, I removed the staples and essentially had 19 signatures ready to be sewn together.
“Making & keeping creative journals” by Suzanne Tourtillott was very helpful. This time around, I created fake “headbands”, used a spine stiffener, and attached the end papers to the front and back pages of the book block with only a thin strip of glue rather then laminate them thereby losing two pages.
Though not perfect and with plenty of room for improvement, I am pretty pleased with the outcome especially since I completed the entire book during about eight hours of work.

20140615-205147.jpg

20140615-205212.jpg

20140615-205222.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: